- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Puff Puris (Pooris) - Indian Bread Recipe Video
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tortilla flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Use as required to make a semi soft dough)|
|Shortening/Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
Calories 763 Calories from Fat 254
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g42.6%
Saturated Fat 5.9 g29.4%
Trans Fat 1.3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1088.5 mg45.4%
Total Carbohydrates 111 g37.1%
Dietary Fiber 12.3 g49.2%
Sugars 0.3 g
Protein 22 g43.7%
Vitamin A 0.4% Vitamin C 0.16%
Calcium 20.3% Iron 42.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a bowl add the wheat (chapati) flour and the tortilla flour with a little bit of salt to taste and the crushed cumin. Mix well.
2. Gradually add water in small portions as required to knead. Knead to get a semi-soft dough. Once done, cover the dough and let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes.
3. After 15 minutes or so, take golf ball size portions from the dough and begin rolling.
4. In a round bottom pan heated with a couple of inches of oil, fry the puris.
5. Serve the puffed up puris with chole or any other Indian curry.
If tortilla flour mix is not available in your area you can prepare it at home using the following ingredients:
All purpose flour, 8 1/2 cup
Non-fat dairy milk powder, 2/3 cup
Baking powder, 1 tablespoon
Salt, 1 teaspoon
Shortening/oil, 1 cup