- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Puff Pastry Recipe
|Sifted flour||225 Gram|
|Chilled butter/Margarine / half of each||225 Gram|
|Lime juice||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ice cold water||150 Milliliter|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2433 Calories from Fat 1622
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 185 g284.2%
Saturated Fat 115.9 g579.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 483.8 mg
Sodium 289.6 mg12.1%
Total Carbohydrates 172 g57.3%
Dietary Fiber 6.1 g24.3%
Sugars 0.8 g
Protein 25 g50.3%
Vitamin A 112.5% Vitamin C 0.63%
Calcium 9.3% Iron 58.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Into a large cool bowl or on a cool marble or stone slab, sift the flour and salt.
2. Rub in a walnut-sized piece of butter into the flour so that it resembles breadcrumbs and then make a well in the centre.
3. Mix lime juice with water and then pour half this liquid into the well. Start mixing the flour with the liquid using your fingers and add more liquid if required. Mix the dough quickly. Cover with cling film and allow to rest in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
4. Before removing the dough, sprinkle flour on a cool surface and roll the dough into a large rectangle 1/2"- 1/4" thick.
5. Place chilled butter between 2 sheets of butter paper and beat with a rolling pin into a rectangle. Dust butter with flour and place it in the centre of the dough rectangle
6. Fold the sides of the dough over the butter and then fold over the upper and lower sides to make a parcel. Turn the parcel over and gently roll outward with the rolling pin into a rectangle. Roll out using short forward and backward strokes of the rolling pin, into a rectangle again.
7. Fold 1/3 of the upper edge to come 2/3 of the way down and then fold over the lower 1/3-. Give it a half-turn to the left so that the folded edge is on your right. This is the first turn. Roll and fold again.
8. Cover with cling film and allow to rest in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes. Repeat the folding process twice. The seventh fold is always done just before use.
9. Rest for 10-15 minutes before use
10. Use as a puff pastry casing
Puff pastry can be kept well wrapped in the refrigerator for 2-3 days and in the deep freezer for 3-4 weeks.