- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pretty Fast Chicken Gumbo Recipe
|Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chicken sausage/Turkey sausages||1 Pound, cut into 1/2-inch rounds (Spicy, 6 Medium Sized Ones)|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Red bell pepper||1 , cut into 1/4-inch pieces|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Chicken broth/Vegetable broth||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Canned plum tomatoes with juice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Long grain rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Thyme||1 Teaspoon, dried|
|Okra||10 Ounce, frozen, thawed, cut into 1/2-inch slices (1 Package)|
|Cayenne pepper/Tabasco /another hot sauce||To Taste|
Calories 490 Calories from Fat 231
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g39.8%
Saturated Fat 1.9 g9.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 80.5 mg
Sodium 1050.7 mg43.8%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g11.8%
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g19%
Sugars 7.6 g
Protein 28 g55.9%
Vitamin A 45.7% Vitamin C 134.7%
Calcium 11.1% Iron 12.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large saucepan, brown the sausage slices for about 2 minutes each side over a medium heat in batches. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
2) In the same pan, stir in the onion, bell pepper and garlic, cover and simmer over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
3) Stir in the broth, tomatoes with their juices, rice, and thyme, allow to simmer.
4) Stir in the sausage slices and simmer covered for 15 minutes until the rice is tender and the seasonings come together.
5) Stir in the okra and simmer for 2 minutes just until heated.
6) Season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce.
7) Ladle the soup into soup bowls and serve immediately.