- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Praline Roll Recipe
|Eggs||5 , separated (Room Temperature)|
|All purpose flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned pecan halves||3 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Vanilla flavor instant pudding and pie filling||3 3⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Heavy whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs), whipped|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2496 Calories from Fat 1590
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 183 g281.7%
Saturated Fat 72.6 g363.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1408.8 mg
Sodium 3561.8 mg148.4%
Total Carbohydrates 164 g54.7%
Dietary Fiber 10.7 g42.9%
Sugars 63.3 g
Protein 61 g122.3%
Vitamin A 100.5% Vitamin C 4%
Calcium 172.3% Iron 71.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. In large bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Beating at high speed, gradually sprinkle in 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition until sugar is completely dissolved and whites stand in stiff peaks.
3. Preheat oven to 375°F. In small bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat egg yolks, flour, baking powder, vanilla, salt, 1/2 cup sugar, and 2 tablespoons water until blended.
4. Gently fold flour mixture into beaten egg whites. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until cake is golden and top springs back when lightly touched.
5. Sprinkle clean cloth towel with confectioners' sugar. When cake is done, immediately invert cake onto towel. Carefully peel waxed paper from cake. If you like, cut off crisp edges. Starting at a narrow end, roll cake with towel, jelly-roll fashion. Cool cake completely, seam side down, on wire rack.
6. Meanwhile, prepare praline mixture: Grease large cookie sheet; set aside. In 1-quart saucepan over low heat, heat 1 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water to boiling, stirring occasionally. Stir in pecans. Set candy thermometer in place and continue cooking 15 to 20 minutes longer, without stirring (stirring will cause mixture to crystallize), until syrup is dark amber, nuts are browned, and temperature on thermometer reaches 305°F. or hard-crack stage (when a small amount of hot syrup dropped into very cold water separates into threads that are hard and brittle). Immediately pour nut mixture onto prepared cookie sheet; cool completely, about 30 minutes. Snap praline into pieces. In food processor with knife blade attached or in blender at medium speed, finely grind praline pieces; set aside.
7. Prepare instant pudding as label directs, but use only 1 cup milk. With rubber spatula or wire whisk, fold ground praline mixture and whipped cream into pudding. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 45 minutes.
8. Unroll cooled cake; spread evenly with half of praline mixture. Starting at same narrow end, roll cake without towel. Place cake, seam side down, on platter. Spoon remaining praline mixture into decorating bag with medium star tube. Pipe praline mixture in shell pattern lengthwise to cover roll. Refrigerate.