- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Potato Soup With Greens And Crispy Potato Skin Croutons Recipe
|Russet potatoes/Other baking potatoes||3|
|Bacon||1⁄4 Pound, smoked|
|Smoked bacon slab||1⁄4 Pound (with rind)|
|Onion||1 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), coarsely chopped|
|Kale||1⁄2 Pound, large stems removed, coarsely chopped to make 8 cups|
|Chicken stock/Canned broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Watercress||1 Bunch (100 gm), chopped|
|Watercress||1 Bunch (100 gm), coarsely chopped|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 254 Calories from Fat 134
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.5%
Saturated Fat 4.8 g23.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 18.2 mg
Sodium 560 mg23.3%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g8.1%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g10.1%
Sugars 3.2 g
Protein 7 g14.3%
Vitamin A 129.5% Vitamin C 100.1%
Calcium 9.7% Iron 9.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Meanwhile, remove the rind from the bacon in one piece and reserve. Slice the bacon into 1/4-inch-thick slices and then slice crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide matchsticks. In a stockpot, fry the bacon over moderate heat until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; reserve the bacon for garnish.
3. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Add the onion and garlic to the pan. Cover and cook over low heat until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the kale, chicken stock, reserved bacon rind and 4 cups of water. Bring to a simmer and cook, partially covered, for 1 hour. Remove and discard the bacon rind.
5. When the potatoes are done, cut them in half and scoop out the insides; set aside. Halve each potato skin lengthwise. Brush liberally on both sides with the oil. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 400°, turning once, for 15 minutes, until browned and crisp. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Chop into bite-size croutons.
6. Mash half of the reserved potato pulp and stir into the soup. Break the remainder into small pieces and drop into the soup. Simmer until warmed through, about 10 minutes. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper.
7. Stir the watercress into the soup. Swirl in the butter. Ladle the soup into individual soup bowls and sprinkle the potato skin croutons and bacon on top.