- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Potato, Onion, Spinach, and Goat Cheese Calzones Recipe
|Warm water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (About 95Ã‚Â°F)|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||5 1⁄2 Cup (88 tbs)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Russet potatoes||3 Medium, scrubbed, dried and sliced into 1/8 inch rounds|
|Spanish onion||2 Medium, peeled and thinly sliced|
|Finely chopped spinach||1 Pound, washed and drained|
|Goat cheese||8 Ounce, Cut into 6 pieces|
|Corn meal||4 Tablespoon|
Calories 832 Calories from Fat 180
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g31.6%
Saturated Fat 10.3 g51.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 39.7 mg
Sodium 274.2 mg11.4%
Total Carbohydrates 131 g43.8%
Dietary Fiber 8.3 g33.3%
Sugars 9.8 g
Protein 30 g60.9%
Vitamin A 155% Vitamin C 50.9%
Calcium 46.1% Iron 55.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 450Â°F.
2) In a large mixing bowl, stir the water, sugar and yeast to dissolve, allow to stand for 5 minutes.
3) Stir in the olive oil, 2 cups flour and salt with a wooden spoon for 3 minutes. Allow the mixture to rest for 15 minutes.
4) Stir in another 2 cups of flour and stir the dough for another 3 minutes.
5) On a floured surface, knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it is soft, smooth and elastic.
6) Coat a large bowl, with the olive oil, roll the dough in the oil to coat, tightly cover the bowl with plastic wrap and keep in a warm place to rise.
7) In Dutch oven, saute the potatoes in 1 tablespoon olive oil over a high heat. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper, stir frequently and cook for 2 minutes.
8) In a baking tray, transfer the potatoes and roast in the oven until slightly crisp. Remove and keep aside.
9) In 1 tablespoon of olive oil, saute the onions over a medium heat, stirring frequently until very soft. Stir in the sugar and saute the onions for about 3 minutes, until caramelized.
10) Stir in the spinach and cook until the spinach is soft, keep the onion-spinach mixture aside.
11) Deflate the dough when doubled in bulk, then allow the dough to rest for 5 minutes.
12) In 2 heavy baking sheets, sprinkle the corn meal. Divide the dough into 6 equal balls, lightly flatten and place under a towel until needed.
13) On a lightly floured work surface, roll 1 ball of dough into a 12 x 7-inch oval and place on a baking sheet.
14) Spread a layer of potatoes on 1/2 of the dough leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge. Then a layer of some onions and spinach and top with some goat cheese.
15) Fold the other half of the dough over the filling, seal the edges, crimp with a fork, and prick the top in 2-3 places.
16) Repeat with the remaining 5 balls of dough and the rest of the filling.
17) Bake the calzones in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until golden.
18) Serve immediately on individual serving plates.