- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Potato Gratin Pie Recipe
|Potatoes||1 Kilogram, thinly sliced (5 Large Ones)|
|Vegetable stock||300 Milliliter|
|Shortcrust pastry||300 Gram|
|Manchego cheese||150 Gram, grated|
|Onion||1 , thinly sliced|
|Eggs||3 (For Glaze)|
|Eggs||1 , beaten (For Glaze)|
|Double cream||100 Milliliter|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), crushed|
Calories 421 Calories from Fat 215
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g36.8%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g11.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 167.4 mg
Sodium 152.1 mg6.3%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g12.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.6%
Sugars 2.7 g
Protein 15 g29.9%
Vitamin A 3.3% Vitamin C 58.8%
Calcium 4.7% Iron 11.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas
2. Grease a 23-25cm pie plate and set aside
3. Cut the pastry into half and roll out one section to fit the pie plate. Roll out the second section to make a lid that will fit over the pie. Set aside till needed
4. Blanch the sliced potatoes in hot vegetable stock for 2-3 minutes.
5. Drain the stock and set aside the potatoes to cool on a tray.
6. When the potatoes are cool, layer the potatoes, cheese, and onion on the pastry base in the pie plate.
7. In a separate bowl, whisk the cream, the eggs, the garlic and seasoning well. Pour over the layered potatoes mix.
8. Brush the edge of the pastry shell in the prepared pie plate with beaten egg. Lay the pastry lid on top and press the edges down lightly.
9. Glaze the top with egg wash again.
10. Bake in a hot oven for 30-40 minutes or till hot, crisp and golden.
11. Serve the hot pie with a salad and spicy chutney
Don’t worry if the eggs and cream mixture seems too much for the pastry shell. The potatoes will soak them up while cooking.