- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Potato And Onion Croquettes With Deep Fried Parsley Recipe
|All purpose potatoes||2 Pound, peeled and quartered|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Heavy cream||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground white pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Freshly grated nutmeg||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|All-purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole eggs||2 , beaten|
|Fresh white bread crumbs||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Made From 5 Or 6 Slices Of Firm-Textured White Bread, Crusts Removed)|
|Peanut oil||1 1⁄2 Quart (For Deep Frying)|
|Curly leaf parsley||3 Bunch (300 gm), washed and thoroughly dried, large stems removed (Use Medium Size Bunches)|
Calories 585 Calories from Fat 317
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g55.2%
Saturated Fat 10.3 g51.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 155.2 mg
Sodium 492.5 mg20.5%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.5%
Dietary Fiber 6.6 g26.2%
Sugars 4 g
Protein 11 g22.6%
Vitamin A 92.6% Vitamin C 164.9%
Calcium 14.2% Iron 35.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large saucepan of boiling water, cook the potatoes for 15 minutes or until tender.
2) Drain the potatoes and pass through the medium disk of a food mill.
3) In a medium skillet, add butter and melt over moderately high heat.
4) SautÃ© onion for 3 minutes or until soft and begins to color.
5) In a medium bowl, add potatoes, sautÃ©ed onion, egg yolks, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Combine together to blend the mixture.
6) Cover the croquette and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight, until well chilled.
7) In a shallow dish, place the flour.
8) In another dish, place the whole beaten eggs.
9) In another shallow dish, place the bread crumbs.
10) Prepare a croquette, by taking 1 tablespoon of the croquette mixture in your hand. Quickly shape up into a small ball. Roll the ball in flour to coat all over. Remove excess flour by shaking up gently. Dip the coated ball into beaten eggs, letting excess drip back into the dish. Finally roll the ball into the bread crumbs to coat evenly. Shake off excess crumbs and place aside.
11) Repeat the process to prepare croquettes with remaining mixture.
12) In a deep-fat fryer or deep heavy saucepan, heat 2 1/2 inches of oil to 375°.
13) Place the croquettes in hot oil and deep fry in batches without crowding for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
14) Remove the ball from oil and drain on paper towels.
15) In the basket of deep-fryer place a handful of parsley at a time to fry carefully into the hot oil, until dark green and crisp, for about 30 seconds.
16) Transfer the parsley on paper towel to soak out excess oil.
17) In a serving platter, arrange the croquettes and sprinkle the parsley on top. Serve hot with ketchup on side, if desired.