- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pot of Bearis Recipe
|Mixed dried beans||1 Pound|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Dried rosemary||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried thyme||1 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Coarse sea salt||2 Teaspoon|
|Tabasco sauce||To Taste|
|Chopped vidalia onion||2 Tablespoon (As Desired, For Serving)|
Calories 1215 Calories from Fat 605
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 67 g103.7%
Saturated Fat 21.2 g105.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 134.2 mg
Sodium 1024.2 mg42.7%
Total Carbohydrates 99 g33.1%
Dietary Fiber 34.8 g139.2%
Sugars 6.7 g
Protein 61 g121.3%
Vitamin A 51.2% Vitamin C 26.7%
Calcium 36.5% Iron 90%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large stockpot, place the beans along with enough water to cover.
2) Bring the beans to a rolling boil.
3) Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 1 hour. After 1 hour, drain the beans.
4) In the same stockpot, melt the butter and oil over medium heat.
5) In the hot pot, saute the onions and garlic for 8 to 10 minutes, or until soft.
6) To this, add the beans and enough fresh water to cover the ingredients.
7) Gradually add the rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, ham hock, paprika, and pepper.
8) Simmer, covered, for 2 hours. Add more water in between, if required.
9) From this, remove the ham hock.
10) Now, add the sea salt and simmer for 1 more hour.
11) Adjust the seasonings with salt, pepper, and Tabasco.
12) Transfer to soup bowls.
13) Sprinkle each serving with chopped onions.
14) Serve with hot cornbread.