- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Portuguese Style Chicken Recipe
|Onion||1 Large, sliced|
|Green bell pepper||1 Large, seeded and sliced into strips|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Light olive oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Canned tomatoes||28 Ounce, chopped, liquid reserved (1 Can)|
|Canned tomatoes||28 Ounce, chopped (Liquid Reserved)|
|Whole bay leaf||1|
|Dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Parsley sprigs||2 (Or As Needed)|
|Red wine||6 Ounce (Half 12 Ounce Bottle, Not Chianti, Or Enough To Cover Chicken)|
|Fryer chicken||3 1⁄2 Pound, cut into serving pieces (1 Bird)|
Calories 814 Calories from Fat 473
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 53 g81.1%
Saturated Fat 13.2 g66.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 198.4 mg
Sodium 604.3 mg25.2%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g9%
Dietary Fiber 6.6 g26.3%
Sugars 2.9 g
Protein 55 g109%
Vitamin A 47.7% Vitamin C 95.9%
Calcium 14.2% Iron 35.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2) In a casserole, heat oil and sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic over moderate heat until softened.
3) Stir in the tomatoes, tomato liquid, seasonings, parsley, wine, and chicken.
4) Put the lid on and place the casserole in over.
5) Bake the chicken mixture for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until chicken is tender.
8) Serve the Portuguese Style Chicken garnished with chopped parsley if desired.