- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
How to Make Cod Fritters - Bolinho de Bacalhau Recipe Video
|Cod fish fillets||1 Pound, boiled in salted water|
|Yukon potatoes||1 1⁄2 Medium|
|Olive oil||258 Milliliter (4 tablespoons for recipe and the rest for deep frying)|
|Yellow onion||1⁄2 Small, finely chopped|
|Garlic cloves||2 Small|
|Fresh thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh parsley||3 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Eggs||2 (egg whites separated from egg yolks)|
|Canola oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3669 Calories from Fat 2751
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 315 g485.1%
Saturated Fat 41.7 g208.4%
Trans Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 423 mg141%
Sodium 4244.2 mg176.8%
Total Carbohydrates 184 g61.5%
Dietary Fiber 12.4 g49.6%
Sugars 11.2 g
Protein 34 g68.6%
Vitamin A 90.3% Vitamin C 116.8%
Calcium 15.1% Iron 37%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a pan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and the fish to cook for 7-10 minutes.
2. In another pan with 3 cups of water on the stove, add the potatoes with the skin on.
3. Place a clean cloth on the kitchen counter, place the cooked fish and fold the cloth oven. Now, using your hands shred the fish through the cloth.
4. In a skillet pan over medium heat, add 4 tablespoons of olive oil and the onions and garlic and cook until translucent.
5. Once done, add the cod. Turn off the heat and add the thyme.
6. Remove the potatoes off the stove and peel the skin.
7. Use a food mill to mash the potatoes.
8. Add the cooked fish mix along with the egg yolks and mix.
9. Add the salt, parsley and nutmeg.
10. Add the egg whites into a mixer with a pinch of salt and mix until hard peaks are formed.
11. Add 1/3 rd of the egg whites into the fish mix and fold. Once done, add the rest and fold well.
12. Roll the dough into balls. Refrigerate the balls for 20 minutes.
13. In a small skillet pan, heat 1/2 cup of olive oil and the canola oil.
14. Add the cod fritters into the hot oil and cook until brown.
15. Plate and serve along with lemon wedges.