- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Port and Onion Soup Recipe
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Kilogram, sliced|
|Vegetable stock/Chicken stock||2 Liter|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground white pepper||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cream||200 Milliliter (With A Pinch Of Sodium Bicarbonate)|
|Sodium bicarbonate||1 Pinch (Mixed With Cream)|
Calories 749 Calories from Fat 346
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g59.8%
Saturated Fat 19.6 g98%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 70.7 mg
Sodium 1828 mg76.2%
Total Carbohydrates 92 g30.5%
Dietary Fiber 11.9 g47.7%
Sugars 38.9 g
Protein 8 g15.4%
Vitamin A 17.6% Vitamin C 62.3%
Calcium 23.4% Iron 7.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a pan, heat butter with oil over moderate heat.
2. Include onions and saute till soft and golden.
3. Remove half the onions from pan and reserve them for garnishing.
4. Blend remaining onions to a smooth puree in a food processor and keep aside.
5. In a pan pour stock and season it with salt and pepper.
6. Simmer for approximately 25 minutes then strain into another pan.
7. Blend in prepared onion puree.
8. Place pan over moderate heat and bring to a boil.
9. Take pan off the heat and stir in the port and gradually blend in the cream.
10. Add reserved fried onions.
11. Spoon soup into warmed soup bowls and serve hot with crusty bread or croutons