- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
New Year's Day Recipe! Bacon-Wrapped Pork Loin & Black Eyed Peas Recipe Video
|For the bacon-wrapped pork loin|
|Dijon mustard grain||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Agave sweetener||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pork tenderloin||1 Pound|
|All purpose seasoning||1 Teaspoon (Grand Diamond)|
|Smoked bacon||40 Gram (4 to 5 Slices)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|For the black eyed peas|
|Black eyed peas||1 Pound, soaked|
|Low sodium chicken stock||1 Quart|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Bell pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Bay leaves||2 Small|
|All purpose seasoning||2 Tablespoon (Grand Diamond)|
|Cooked rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 598 Calories from Fat 68
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g11.7%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40.2 mg13.4%
Sodium 144 mg6%
Total Carbohydrates 63 g21.1%
Dietary Fiber 6.5 g26.1%
Sugars 12.7 g
Protein 29 g57.9%
Vitamin A 1.4% Vitamin C 9.4%
Calcium 6.6% Iron 38.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedOven
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Trim the skin and membrane from the pork tenderloin.
3. Prepare a baking sheet pan.
4. Season the pork tenderloin with all-purpose seasoning.
5. Combine grain mustard and agave sweetener in a bowl.
6. Pour half of the sweet mustard sauce over the tenderloin and set the remaining sauce to the side.
7. Marinate and rub the tenderloin well.
8. Wrap each slice of bacon around the tenderloin in a spiral pattern until the entire loin is covered with bacon.
9. Using butcher’s twine, firmly tie the bacon to the loin and seal the open edges.
10. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Place the loin in the skillet and brown the bacon on all sides.
11. Place the tenderloin on a baking sheet pan, put it in the oven, and bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reads 145 to 150 degrees.
12. Once cooked, let the tenderloin rest for about 5 minutes.
13. Untie the tenderloin and slice into medallions 1 to 1½ inches just before serving.
14. Pour the remaining sweet mustard sauce over the sliced pork medallions.
15. Serve the bacon wrapped pork lion along with some black eyed peas on the side.
FOR THE BLACK EYED PEAS
1. Soak the black eyed peas in water for 2 ½ - 3 hours, rinse and keep it aside.
2. In a large pot simmer the ham hock with water and chicken stock over medium high heat for 45- 50 minutes.
3. Finely chop the garlic, onion, bell pepper and celery, keep it aside until needed.
4. Add the black eyed peas, followed by onion, garlic, bell pepper, celery along with all-purpose seasoning and bay leaves.
5. Stir well and place a lid and cook it further for 30-45 minutes.
6. Once done remove the lid and cook for another 10 minutes to allow the black eyed peas to thicken.
7. Remove the bay leaves.
8. Serve the black eyed peas along with the bacon wrapped pork lion.