- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pork Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
|Sauerkraut||2 Pound, canned or packaged (Fresh)|
|Green cabbage head||3 Pound, pounded (1 Large)|
|Lard/Bacon fat||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped|
|Garlic||1⁄4 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Ground lean pork||1 Pound|
|Rice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), cooked in boiling salted water (3/4 Cup Cooked)|
|Eggs||2 , slightly beaten|
|Sweet hungarian paprika||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs), mixed|
|Tomato puree||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter||3 Tablespoon, unsalted|
|Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 713 Calories from Fat 370
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 42 g64.1%
Saturated Fat 19.8 g98.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 240.7 mg
Sodium 2213.6 mg92.2%
Total Carbohydrates 57 g18.9%
Dietary Fiber 17.3 g69.3%
Sugars 21.6 g
Protein 37 g73.2%
Vitamin A 28.2% Vitamin C 279.2%
Calcium 31.2% Iron 40.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Rinse the sauerkraut under cold running water and cover them with cold water, keeping aside for 10 to 20 minutes to reduce sourness.
2) Dry the sauerkraut by squeezing them and then keep aside.
3) Take a large saucepan and allow enough salted water (to cover the cabbage) to come to a boil in it.
4) Stir in cabbage and simmer the mixture for 8 minutes after turning the heat to low.
5) Take off the cabbage and allow it to drain while it cools enough to handle.
6) Take off the large unbroken leaves and place them on paper towels to drain and cool further.
7) Take a 10-inch skillet and heat lard or bacon fat on high heat in it until a light haze forms over it.
8) SautÃ© onions and garlic in it, until the onions are lighty colored.
9) Take a large mixing bowl and mix together pork, rice, eggs, paprika, marjoram, onion-garlic mixture, salt and a few grindings of black pepper in it with a fork or wooden spoon.
10) In the center of one of the wilted cabbage leaves, place 2 tablespoons of the stuffing and fold over the sides beginning with the thick end of the leaf.
11) Roll the whole leaf tightly and continue the process with more leaves until all the stuffing has been used.
12) On the bottom of a 5-quart casserole, spread the sauerkraut and top it with the cabbage rolls.
13) Mix in water combined with the tomato puree.
14) Allow the liquid to come to a boil and then cook the stuffed cabbage, tightly covered, over low heat for 1 hour.
15) To a warm platter, transfer the rolls from the casserole.
16) For the sauce, take a small saucepan and melt butter in it on medium heat.
17) Mix in flour, stirring continuously until the flour browns slightly.
18) Slowly mix in cream, continuing to stir until the sauce becomes thick and smooth.
19) Mix this sauce with the sauerkraut and simmer it for 5 to 10 minutes more.
20) Lift the sauerkraut onto a serving platter using a fork or slotted spoon.
21) Top sauerkraut with the cabbage rolls and pour over some of the sauce.
22) Serve the dish at once with rest of the sauce served separately in a sauceboat.