- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pork Sl Tortilla Casserole Recipe
|6 inch corn tortillas||8 , preferably day-old (Or 15 Centimeters)|
|Boneless pork shoulder||2 Pound, cut into 1 1/2-inch, 4 centimeter cubes (900 Grams)|
|White onions||2 Medium, thinly sliced lengthwise|
|Salt||5 Milliliter (1 Teaspoon)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lard/Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Poblano chilies||2 , roasted, peeled, seeded, deveined chopped (Use Fresh)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Ground cumin||2 Milliliter (1/2 Teaspoon)|
|Canned tomatillos||13 Ounce, undrained, coarsely chopped (1 Can, 370 Grams)|
|Whipping cream||250 Milliliter (1 Cup)|
|Coarsely chopped fresh coriander||60 Milliliter (1/4 Cup)|
|Shredded queso chihuahua/Shredded monterey jack cheese||250 Milliliter (1 Cup)|
|Shredded mild cheddar cheese||250 Milliliter (1 Cup)|
|Tomato slices||5 , cut into halves|
|Mexican cream/Sour cream||125 Milliliter (1/2 Cup)|
|Coriander sprigs||2 (Fresh)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6147 Calories from Fat 3852
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 432 g664%
Saturated Fat 227 g1134.8%
Trans Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 1571.9 mg
Sodium 6187.2 mg257.8%
Total Carbohydrates 248 g82.6%
Dietary Fiber 29.1 g116.4%
Sugars 50.2 g
Protein 296 g592.9%
Vitamin A 326% Vitamin C 82.2%
Calcium 418.4% Iron 134.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Combine pork, 1 onion and salt in large saucepan; add water to cover pork. Heat over high heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until pork is tender, 1 1/2 hours.
3. Melt enough lard in deep, heavy, large skillet for 1/2-inch (1.3-cm) depth. Heat to 375°F (190°C); adjust heat to maintain temperature. Fry tortilla strips in lard, about 1/3 at a time, stirring and turning occasionally, until crisp, about 1 minute. Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper toweling.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons (30 mL) lard in 10-inch (25-cm) skillet over medium heat until hot. Add remaining onion; saute until soft, about 4 minutes. Add chilies, garlic and cumin saute 1 minute. Stir in undrained tomatillos. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Add whipping cream to skillet; cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is reduced to 2 2/3 cups (660 mL), 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in chopped coriander.
5. Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Mix cheeses in small bowl. Drain pork; using 2 forks, pull into coarse shreds
6. Spread 1/2 of tortilla stnps in greased, shallow 2 1/2-quart (2.5-L) casserole. Add layers of 1/2 each pork, cream mixture and cheeses in that order. Repeat all layers.
7. Bake until hot throughout and golden on top, 25 to 30 minutes. Garnish with tomato slices, Mexican Cream and coriander sprigs.