- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pork and Sauerkraut Recipe
|Salt pork||1⁄4 Pound|
|Pork loin roast||5 Pound|
|Sauerkraut||6 Pound, drained|
|Canned sauerkraut||6 Pound, drained well (6 Cans Of 1 Pound Each)|
|Onions||2 Large, chopped|
|White wine||750 Milliliter (1 Bottle, Preferably Rhine Or Moselle)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 867 Calories from Fat 333
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g56.9%
Saturated Fat 12.4 g61.8%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 239 mg
Sodium 2590.5 mg107.9%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g10%
Dietary Fiber 11.3 g45.2%
Sugars 10.6 g
Protein 80 g159.6%
Vitamin A 1.9% Vitamin C 93.3%
Calcium 15.5% Iron 41.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) With salt pork, rub a heavy, large kettle.
2) Score the salt pork.
3) Cut the roast into 3 or 4 big pieces.
4) In the bottom of the kettle, place the meat.
5) Over the meat, add the sauerkraut.
6) Gradually add onions, peppercorns, bay leaves, half of the wine and 1 cup of water. Cover the kettle.
7) Simmer for about 4 hours, or until the meat is soft.
8) Remove the meat and drain off liquid and fat from the kettle.
9) To the kettle, add the remaining wine.
10) Simmer for 1 hour.
11) Meanwhile, from the roast, remove the bones.
12) Remove fat and cut it into small, bite size pieces.
13) To the sauerkraut mix, return these and heat thoroughly.
14) Serve hot with German style potatoes and hot mustard.