- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pork and Liver Pie Recipe
|Pigs liver||3⁄4 Pound (350 gram)|
|Milk||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Boneless pork spareribs||1 Pound (450 gram)|
|Lard||1 Ounce (25 gram)|
|Onions||2 , peeled and chopped|
|Flour||30 Milliliter (2 tablespoons)|
|Beef stock||1⁄4 Pint (150 milliliter)|
|Worcestershire sauce||30 Milliliter (2 tablespoons)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Flour||10 Ounce (275 gram)|
|Butter||2 1⁄2 Ounce (65 gram)|
|Lard||2 1⁄2 Ounce (65 gram)|
|Water||60 Milliliter (4 tablespoons)|
|Egg/Milk||1 , beaten (for glaze)|
Calories 695 Calories from Fat 357
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g61.4%
Saturated Fat 17.2 g85.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 292.4 mg
Sodium 411.9 mg17.2%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.9%
Sugars 2.8 g
Protein 35 g69.7%
Vitamin A 252.4% Vitamin C 31.1%
Calcium 5.7% Iron 93.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F or Gas Mark 6.
2. In a bowl cover the liver cover with milk, leave for 30 minutes, then drain.
3. Mince (grind) the liver with the pork.
4. In a pan, melt the lard and fry the onion until soft.
5. Cook adding the minced (ground) meats until browned, stirring constantly to break up the meat.
6. Stir in the remaining ingredients, cook with cover gently for 30 minutes and leave to cool.
7. To make the pastry in a bowl sift the flour and salt together and rub in the fats until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
8. Add enough water to mix to a firm dough.
9. Turn onto a floured surface and divide in half and roll out one half and use to line a 20-23 cm/8-9 inch pie plate.
10. Spoon the filling onto the dough and roll out the remaining dough to form a lid.
11. On the plate moisten the edge of the dough with water, cover with the lid and press firmly together to seal.
12. Trim and flute the edge and decorate the top of the pie using any trimmings.
13. Cut an air vent in the centre.
14. If you wish to freeze the dish, open (flash) freeze until firm, then wrap in foil. Seal, label and return to the freezer.
15. To serve the frozen dish, remove wrappings and brush the top of the pie with beaten egg or milk.
16. Bake from frozen in the preheated moderately hot oven for 15 minutes.
17. Bake reducing the heat to moderate (180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4) for a further 40 minutes or until heated through.
18. Cover with foil if the pastry becomes too brown.
20. Cut into wedges and serve hot.