- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Porcini Parmesan Breadsticks Recipe
|Dried porcini mushrooms||1 Ounce (1 Cup)|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Kosher salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil/Salad oil||2 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated|
|Egg yolk||1 Large|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1898 Calories from Fat 492
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 56 g86%
Saturated Fat 17 g84.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 240 mg
Sodium 3815.3 mg159%
Total Carbohydrates 276 g92.1%
Dietary Fiber 12.5 g49.9%
Sugars 6.6 g
Protein 68 g135.5%
Vitamin A 9.8% Vitamin C 0.07%
Calcium 77.3% Iron 108.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. In a large bowl, combine yeast, sugar, and 1 cup warm (110°) water. Let stand until yeast is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Add porcini powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 1/2 cups flour, and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Beat with a heavy spoon or a mixer until dough is stretchy, I to 2 minutes.
3. To knead dough by hand, stir in 1 cup flour. Scrape dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes; add flour as required to prevent sticking. To knead with a dough hook, mix in 1 cup flour. Beat until dough pulls from sides of bowl and no longer feels sticky, about 3 minutes; if required, beat in more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time.
4. On a lightly floured board, pat dough into a 6- by 12-inch rectangle. Brush with about 1/2 teaspoon oil, lightly cover with plastic wrap, and let stand until puffy, about 45 minutes.
5. Oil 2 baking sheets (14 by 17 in.). With a sharp knife, cut dough lengthwise into 24 equal strips. Pick up a dough strip, holding both ends, and let strip stretch until it's as long as the baking sheet; lay strip on sheet. Repeat to shape remaining strips and space at least 1/2 inch apart on sheet.
6. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk to blend with 1 tablespoon water. Brush onto dough strips, sprinkle evenly with remaining parmesan cheese, then sprinkle with 1 to 2 teaspoons salt (most falls off).
7. Bake in a 350° oven until breadsticks are golden, 22 to 25 minutes (12 to 15 minutes in a convection oven); switch pan positions halfway through baking. With a wide spatula, transfer bread-sticks to a rack.