- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Poppyseed Rolls Recipe
|Granular yeast/Compressed yeast||30 Gram (2 packages)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs), scalded|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||3 , beaten|
|Sifted flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs) (as required)|
|Poppy seeds||1 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4702 Calories from Fat 1256
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 142 g218.6%
Saturated Fat 40.1 g200.7%
Trans Fat 13.5 g
Cholesterol 679.6 mg
Sodium 4296 mg179%
Total Carbohydrates 739 g246.3%
Dietary Fiber 23.7 g94.6%
Sugars 162 g
Protein 114 g228.6%
Vitamin A 23.8% Vitamin C 0.13%
Calcium 78.5% Iron 218.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to moderately hot, 400°F, 200°c, gas mark 6.
2. Grease a baking tray and keep it aside for later use.
3. Mix yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in some warm water and leave it for 10 - 15 minutes.
4. Combine 1 cup milk, remaining sugar, shortening and salt in a large mixing bowl; stir to melt shortening and cool until lukewarm.
5. Mix the eggs and 2 cups of flour and whisk well.
6. Add yeast and beat 4 to 5 minutes, add 2 to 3 cups flour and beat until smooth.
7. Turn out on lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, adding more flour if necessary to make soft dough.
8. Shape into round; place in large greased bowl turn upside down so the greased side comes on top.
9. Let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
10. Punch down; divide in half and roll each into 9inch circles.
11. Cut each circle into 12 wedges.
12. Roll these wedges like a croissant, starting from wide ends and finishing at the tip.
13. Arrange on greased baking sheet, brush with milk, and sprinkle liberally with poppy-seeds.
14. Let it rise until doubled and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
15. Reduce the heat to moderately hot, 375°F, 190°c, gas mark 5 and bake about 15 minutes more.
16. Remove and let cool on a rack for 10 minutes.
17. Serve hot with dinner or lunch or put a cheese slice as a snack.