- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Poppy Seed Crust Recipe
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Poppy seed||1 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cold water||4 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1667 Calories from Fat 973
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 111 g170.1%
Saturated Fat 26.6 g132.9%
Trans Fat 13.5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 983.1 mg41%
Total Carbohydrates 147 g49.1%
Dietary Fiber 8 g32%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 22 g44.1%
Vitamin A Vitamin C 0.25%
Calcium 24.7% Iron 56.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. To prepare the pastry dough, in a mixing bowl, combine flour, poppy seed and salt.
2. Cut shortening into small pieces and add to the flour mixture.
3. With your fingertips, rub the shortening and flour until mixture resembles crumbs.
4. Add cold water and stir with a fork or palette knife quickly and briefly until mixture binds into a ball.
5. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate until ready to use.
6. Preheat the oven to 375°F
7. On a flour dusted surface roll pastry dough out into a 11 inch circle.
8. Use it to line a 9-inch pie plate, neatly trimming the excess pastry at the edges.
9. With a fork, prick pastry shell to prevent bubbling when baking.
10. Fill shell with crumpled foil and place in the preheated oven.
11. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, removing the foil at the end of baking until crust is pale and dry.
12. When cooked, remove pie crust from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
13. Use the crust to make savory tarts, quiche or flans.