- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
|Poppy seed||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Butter||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cold milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Egg whites||4 , beaten|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs), scalding|
|Chopped nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cold water||4 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6972 Calories from Fat 2256
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 257 g395%
Saturated Fat 109.2 g546.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 766.9 mg
Sodium 2203.3 mg91.8%
Total Carbohydrates 1096 g365.3%
Dietary Fiber 45.7 g182.8%
Sugars 726.5 g
Protein 116 g232.5%
Vitamin A 100.3% Vitamin C 76.8%
Calcium 380.5% Iron 191.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a bowl, cover the poppy seeds with milk and let them soak overnight.
2. Grease three 9-inch layer cake tins with butter and line them with baking paper.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F before baking.
4. Into a large basin, sift together, the flour and baking powder, 3-4 times, using a fine mesh sieve. Keep aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl, combine the softened butter and the sugar.
6. Using an electric beater, or a wire whisk blend the ingredients well until light and creamy.
7. Stir the milk into the batter, alternately adding the sifted dry ingredients, using a spatula or a wooden spoon. Stir in one direction to prevent your cake from becoming dense.
8. Stir in poppy seed mixture, making sure that you do not overwork the batter to keep it light
9. Gently fold in the stiff egg whites to make the batter light
10. Immediately divide the batter into the prepared cake tins.
11. Bake the cakes in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes until the cakes leave the sides of the pans and are spongy to touch. Insert a skewer and see if it comes out clean.
12. Remove the cakes from the oven wearing oven mitts and allow them to rest in the pans for 5 minutes then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
13. Make the filling by combining egg yolks, lemon juice, sugar, cornflour dissolved in water in a saucepan.
14. Cook over a double boiler, stirring continuously until thick like custard.
15. Cook and sandwich the cakes with the filling, sprinkling nuts after spreading the custard.
16. To make the icing, combine sugar and water in a saucepan and boil to a thick syrup without stirring.
17. Add the hot syrup to stiff egg whites, beating constantly with a wire whisk or electric beater.
18. Spread the icing on the top and sides of the cake.
19. Slice the cake and serve as a dessert.