- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Popover Ragout Recipe
|Small white onions||1⁄2 Pound, peeled (Use 12 In Number)|
|Green beans||1⁄4 Pound, tipped and cut into bite-size pieces to make 1 cup|
|Carrots||2 Large, pared and cut into 1-inch pieces|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Meat flavor paste||2 Teaspoon|
|Cubed cooked beef/Veal/lamb||2 Cup (32 tbs), cubed|
|For popover shells|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sifted all-purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 530 Calories from Fat 183
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g31.6%
Saturated Fat 9.9 g49.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 240.8 mg
Sodium 192.2 mg8%
Total Carbohydrates 33 g11%
Dietary Fiber 3.7 g14.8%
Sugars 6.3 g
Protein 51 g102.3%
Vitamin A 128.9% Vitamin C 10.5%
Calcium 8.2% Iron 32.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In covered large saucepan cook onions, beans and carrots in 3/4 cup water for 15 minutes such that vegetables are tender.
2. Drain and measure cooking liquid and add enough water to make 2 cups.
3. Save the vegetables and liquid.
4. In the same saucepan melt butter or margarine, remove from heat, blend in flour, salt and pepper and slowly stir in reserved 2 cups liquid and meat-flavor paste.
5. Cook over low heat with constant stirring such that the sauce thickens and boils for 1 minute.
6. Add meat and cooked vegetables and set aside.
7. Take 4 shallow or 2-cup size baking dishes or small frying pans and heavily butter the ramekins.
8. Using a rotary beater beat eggs in 1-quart measure or medium-size bowl such that foamy and stir in milk.
9. Into egg mixture Sift flour and salt and beat for 1 minute such that no lumps remain.
10. Into prepared dishes pour the batter.
11. Place on a cookie sheet or in shallow baking pan place for easy handling.
12. Bake in very hot oven at 450° for 15 minutes such that the shells are puffed, crisp and golden-brown.
13. Reheat the stew, spoon into hot popover shells and serve at once.