- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Poached Pears Recipe Video
|Bosc pears||4 Large (organic firm, stem intact)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Bay leaf||1 Medium|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Corn starch||1 Tablespoon (as needed)|
|Water||1 Tablespoon (as needed)|
|Caramel sauce||4 Teaspoon (as needed)|
|Walnuts||2 Tablespoon, broken into pieces (Optional)|
Calories 528 Calories from Fat 47
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g8.7%
Saturated Fat 0.5 g2.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 25.9 mg1.1%
Total Carbohydrates 115 g38.4%
Dietary Fiber 19.3 g77.4%
Sugars 74.4 g
Protein 4 g7.1%
Vitamin A 3.1% Vitamin C 42.8%
Calcium 6.7% Iron 7.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Cut off the ends of all the pears and peel them using a peeler.
2) In a French cast iron pot, then add 3 cups water about 1/2 to 3/4 way up the pot.
3) Then add the red wine, bay leaf, cloves and sugar.
4) Allow the pears to poach or simmer in the liquid until they are tender but still firm when pierced with a knife.
5) Remove the pears and place a pear on each serving plate.
6) Discard the cloves and bay leaf from the poaching liquid and reduce and thicken it up with a corn starch slurry ( equal parts corn starch and water).
7) Drizzle the red wine reduction sauce around the plate, place a few pieces of walnut around in the sauce. Spoon the caramel sauce on top of the pears and serve the Poached Pears immediately.