- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Poached Fish Steaks With Fresh Herbs And Cream Recipe
|Halibut steaks/Salmon / turbot||4 (1 Inch Thick)|
|Whipping cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Prepared court bouillon||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh herbs||2 Tablespoon (Like Chives, Parsley, Basil Or Chervil)|
|Lemon||1⁄2 (Use Rind)|
Calories 321 Calories from Fat 133
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.3%
Saturated Fat 7.2 g35.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 95.8 mg
Sodium 1396.1 mg58.2%
Total Carbohydrates 6 g1.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.6 g14.5%
Sugars 1.7 g
Protein 37 g74.4%
Vitamin A 11.7% Vitamin C 15.2%
Calcium 10.4% Iron 8.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) At least 15 minutes ahead of cooking, remove the fish and cream from the fridge and allow them to come down to room temperature .
2) In a deep skillet which is large enough to hold the fish steaks in a single layer, heat the Court Bouillon or Fumet over medium heat till it hits boiling point.
3) Into the simmering stock, slide the fish steaks and adjust the heat so that the stock continues to simmer slowly. Ensure that there is no boiling.
4) Cook the fish till it is slightly underdone. This takes about 7 minutes for salmon and 8 to 9 minutes for halibut or turbot. In order to test for doneness, insert a toothpick or thin skewer into the fish’s thickest part. Some resistance should be there in the center.
5) Onto a warm platter, transfer the almost-cooked fish steaks and loosely cover them with a foil to keep warm.
6) Pour out ½ of the liquid and keep it aside for another use.
7) Turn the heat under the stock to high and boil it till it is reduced by about 2/3rd. Add the cream and further reduce the sauce till it is slightly thick. Reduce the heat, add the herbs and stir well. Season taste.
8) Put the fish steaks back in the skillet and reheat them slightly in the sauce.
9) Top the steaks with the sauce, sprinkle some lemon rind and serve hot.