- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Poached Chicken Calcutta Recipe
|Whole broiler fryer chicken breasts||2 , halved and skinned|
|Canned chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Divided)|
|Coriander||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Cardamom||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Fresh plum tomatoes||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), chopped|
|Mango chutney||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Teaspoon, minced|
|Curry powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Dark raisins||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
Calories 345 Calories from Fat 95
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g16.1%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g12.8%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 55 mg
Sodium 1231.9 mg51.3%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.9 g19.5%
Sugars 26.1 g
Protein 22 g44.8%
Vitamin A 26% Vitamin C 28.5%
Calcium 3.5% Iron 14.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In large frying pan, bring together chicken broth, curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, coriander, cardamom and cayenne pepper to a boil with cover and reduce heat to low temperature.
2. In broth mixture place chicken, meaty side down and poach, covered, about 12 minutes such that fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
3. From the frying pan remove chicken, set aside, keep warm and sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.
4. To poaching liquid, add tomatoes, chutney, garlic and raisins and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
5. Cook, uncovered for about 12 minutes such that liquid is reduced and sauce thickens.
6. To frying pan return chicken and cook for about 3 minutes to reheat.
7. On serving platter place the chicken and spoon over with sauce.
8. Garnish with parsley sprigs and serve.