- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Plum Pudding Recipe
|Dark raisins||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Currants||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Diced candied citron||4 Ounce, finely chopped (1 Jar)|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Lemon peel||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|All-purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), sifted|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Suet||2 Ounce, finely grated (3/4 Cup)|
|Light molasses||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brandy||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry bread crumbs||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (Packaged)|
|Hard sauce||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 396 Calories from Fat 79
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.9%
Saturated Fat 3.3 g16.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 38.9 mg13%
Sodium 350.6 mg14.6%
Total Carbohydrates 74 g24.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.6%
Sugars 47.3 g
Protein 6 g11.1%
Vitamin A 1.2% Vitamin C 13.4%
Calcium 10.3% Iron 17.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Prepare a 2-quart pudding mold with tight-fitting cover.
2. Prepare a trivet inside a large kettle filled with boiling water. The water should come up to the trivet margin.
3. In to a large bowl, tip in the fruits, nuts, lemon peel and add ½ cup of flour.
4. Sift the rest of the 3/4th cup of the flour with baking soda, salt and spices and mix well.
5. In another bowl, use a rotary beater to beat the eggs well.
6. Add this mixture to the fruit mixture and add the sugar, suet, molasses, buttermilk and 1/4 cup brandy, the bread crumbs and flour mixture to the same bowl. Beat this well till completely incorporated.
7. Turn this into the prepared mold and then place the mold on the trivet. Check the water to ensure that it comes halfway up the mould
8. Steam this pudding for three hours covered by placing the kettle on medium heat.
9. Cook uncovered for 10 and then remove it on to a wire rack. Let it cool completely. This pudding can be frozen by wrapping in foil and storing in a refrigerator.
10. Just before serving, remove the frozen pudding, cover and steam on high heat for 50 minutes.
11. Just before serving the hot or defrosted pudding, heat ¼ cup brandy and ignite it.
12. Pour this over the pudding and ignite before serving.