- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Plum and Ginger Jam Recipe Video
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Plums||2 1⁄5 Pound, pitted|
|Ginger root||30 Gram|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4368 Calories from Fat 25
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.6%
Saturated Fat 0.23 g1.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 4.5 mg0.2%
Total Carbohydrates 1124 g374.8%
Dietary Fiber 14.8 g59.3%
Sugars 1100.1 g
Protein 8 g15.5%
Vitamin A 69.1% Vitamin C 207.2%
Calcium 7.9% Iron 11.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash, pit and cut the plums into quarters then peel and grate the ginger, combine everything in a pot along with lemon juice and the sugar. At this point, cook for 20 minute on a very low flame, until the plums are mushy.
2. Once the plums are all mushy you can pass everything through a food mill to make it smooth, but if you like fruit chunks, avoid this step and let it simmer until nice and thick.
3. Simmer the mixture on a low flame for 30 minute or until it thickens, skim the jam while simmering, remove any foam that rises to the surface or the jam will be cloudy.
4. The jam is ready it's time to pot the jam: take a few sterilized jars after that, use a jam funnel with a very large mouth to fill the jam, when the jar is full put the lid on, seal tightly, turn it upside down and let it cool, to create the vacuum.
5. Once the jars have cooled, test for vacuum seals by pressing in the middle of the lid: if you don't hear any sound, it's okay, while if it makes a click-clack sound, there is no vacuum; in this case, put the jars in a pot, cover with cold water and boil for at least an hour, after that, check again.
6. Serve the delicious homemade jam along with a slice of bread or any dessert you like.
To know when the jam is ready , dip a teaspoon into the mixture and let a drop fall on a tilted plate: if it doesn't run, the jam is ready.
Remember to skim the jam while simmering, that is remove any foam that rises to the surface or the jam will be cloudy, while in this way it will be crystal clear.