- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Platter Stew Recipe
|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Condensed beef broth||10 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Crumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Small, grated|
|Squashes||3 Medium, trimmed|
|Carrots||8 Small, pared|
|Evaporated milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Garnish)|
Calories 449 Calories from Fat 281
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g48.4%
Saturated Fat 13.2 g66%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 84.3 mg
Sodium 1071.9 mg44.7%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.9 g19.7%
Sugars 12.4 g
Protein 23 g45.3%
Vitamin A 279.2% Vitamin C 66.6%
Calcium 13.3% Iron 11.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Take a medium-size bowl and mix together ground beef, 1/4 cup of the beef broth, bread crumbs, onion, salt, and pepper in it with a fork.
2) Figure the mixture into 20 small balls.
3) In a Dutch oven or a large frying pan, melt butter or margarine and brown balls in it.
4) Pour in remaining broth.
5) Surround the meat balls with squashes and carrots and then simmer, covered for 25 minutes until vegetables are tender.
6) Using a slotted spoon, take off the meat balls and keep in center of a deep serving platter, placing the vegetables around edge.
7) Take a cup and mix evaporated milk and flour in it.
8) Mix this with the hot liquid in pan and allow the gravy to thicken by stirring and boiling for 1 minute.
9) Pour the gravy over meat and vegetables and serve at once.