- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Plain Pastry Recipe
|Sifted flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Solid shortening/Milk-free margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ice cold water||5 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1589 Calories from Fat 921
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 104 g160.5%
Saturated Fat 25.9 g129.5%
Trans Fat 13.5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 979.1 mg40.8%
Total Carbohydrates 143 g47.7%
Dietary Fiber 5.1 g20.3%
Sugars 0.5 g
Protein 19 g38.7%
Vitamin A Vitamin C
Calcium 3.2% Iron 48.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2) In a large bowl, sift the flour and salt together.
3) Cut in 1/2 the shortening until the mixture resembles crumbs. Then cut in rest of the shortening.
4) Gradually add water, tossing gently until the mixture forms a ball.
5) On a floured surface, flatten the dough and roll to 1/8-inch thick.
6) In a pie plate, fit the rolled dough and prick all over.
7) Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, then allow to cool.
8) Use the pastry for one 9-inch pie crust or 4 to 6 tart shells.