- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pita Bread Recipe
|Dried yeast||2 Teaspoon|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Strong flour||14 Ounce, sifted (400 Gram)|
Calories 279 Calories from Fat 39
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.9%
Saturated Fat 0.6 g3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 327.1 mg13.6%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17.1%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.5%
Sugars 0.3 g
Protein 7 g14.9%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0.01%
Calcium 1.2% Iron 18.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large mixing bowl, activate the yeast by dissolving it with the sugar in 3 tablespoons of warm water. Allow the yeast starter to stand for 10 minutes till it is frothy.
2. Grease a baking sheet with oil or baking spray.
3. Preheat the oven to 450° F, 230° C, 15 minutes before baking time.
4. Into the yeast starter in the large mixing bowl, add the remaining water, oil and salt.
5. Add the flour in 4 batches, to the liquid in the bowl, mixing with a wooden spoon, to form sticky dough.
6. Turn the dough out onto a flour dusted board or work surface and knead with the back of your palm until soft and pliable.
7. Form the dough into a tight ball and return it to the work bowl.
8. Coat the dough with a little oil and cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and rest in a warm dry place to allow the dough to ferment for 1 to 1 ½ hours till the dough has doubled in volume.
9. Knock out the air by punching the dough with your fist.
10. Turn out to the work board and divide it into 6-8 portions.
11. Roll each portion into a ball and then flatten with your palm into a 6 inch circle with ¼ inch thickness.
12. Arrange the breads on the baking sheet and lightly dust with flour.
13. Cover the tray and rest the breads for another 10 to 15 minutes until the breads have leavened again.
14. Place the baking tray on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the breads have puffed up and turned a light brown.
15. Remove from the oven and immediately stack the breads and wrap in foil or a paper towel to keep them soft and moist.
16. You can store the pita breads in the refrigerator.
17. Heat in the oven for 5 minutes before serving.