- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pinto Beans and Tofu Recipe
|Pinto beans||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), soaked|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Spanish onion||1 Large, peeled|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs), crushed|
|Water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Firm tofu||1 1⁄4 Pound, cut|
|Brown rice||5 Cup (80 tbs), cooked|
Calories 1271 Calories from Fat 151
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27.1%
Saturated Fat 2.9 g14.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 137.3 mg5.7%
Total Carbohydrates 233 g77.8%
Dietary Fiber 21.5 g86%
Sugars 6.5 g
Protein 46 g92.8%
Vitamin A 14.7% Vitamin C 35.3%
Calcium 48.8% Iron 60.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large pot cover the dried beans with water, bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer the beans until they are tender, approximately 1 1/4 hours.
2. Drain the beans, reserving 1/2 cup of their cooking water and set the beans aside.
3. In a large dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium heat, sautÃ© the onion stirring often, until it is soft and then sautÃ© in garlic stirring constantly, until it is fragrant.
4. Add the coriander, cumin and cinnamon and saute stirring constantly, 1 minute more.
5. Adding the tomatoes, water and bean cooking water, bring the ingredients to a boil, then reduce the heat, simmer the mixture, stirring it often, for 10 minutes and set the mixture aside.
6. To the tomato-based sauce add the cooked beans and tofu and gently stir the ingredients, without mashing the tofu.
7. Lower the heat and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes.
8. Season with the salt and pepper, garnish with the scallions and serve with the brown rice.