- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pig's Knuckles And Sauerkraut Recipe
|Onion||1 , stuck with 2 cloves|
|Freshly ground pepper||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Caraway seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Broth/Beer / white wine||1 Pint (Or More)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 7059 Calories from Fat 4682
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 523 g805.1%
Saturated Fat 220 g1100%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1854.8 mg
Sodium 36279.2 mg1511.6%
Total Carbohydrates 97 g32.5%
Dietary Fiber 56.8 g227.1%
Sugars 30.2 g
Protein 513 g1026.5%
Vitamin A 39.3% Vitamin C 385.1%
Calcium 224.4% Iron 349.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) On the bottom of a large kettle, place half of the sauerkraut in a layer.
2) Add the knuckles, along with the pepper, onion and caraway seeds.
3) In another layer, add the remaining sauerkraut.
4) Over the layers, pour the broth, beer or white wine. Cover the kettle.
5) Bring the ingredients to a boil and reduce the heat. Gently cook over low heat till the knuckles are completely tender. This usually takes about 3 to 31/2 hours.
6) During the final 10 minutes of cooking, add the frankfurters.
7) Serve the knuckles hot over a bed of sauerkraut. Garnish with the frankfurters. Boiled potatoes can be served as a side dish, in addition to lots of good mustard or horseradish and some pickles.