- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Picadillo Stuffed Chilies Recipe
|Tomato sauce/Mexican cream and chopped fresh coriander||2 Tablespoon|
|Chilies||8 (Poblano / Anaheim)|
|Picadillo filling||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||80 Milliliter (1/3 Cup)|
|Eggs||5 Large, separated (At Room Temperature)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon (1 Milliliter)|
|Salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon (1 Milliliter)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4940 Calories from Fat 4259
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 481 g740.2%
Saturated Fat 71 g355.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1135.4 mg
Sodium 1025.8 mg42.7%
Total Carbohydrates 107 g35.5%
Dietary Fiber 7.9 g31.5%
Sugars 30.5 g
Protein 67 g133.5%
Vitamin A 46.4% Vitamin C 329.8%
Calcium 16.3% Iron 52.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Roast, peel, seed and devein chilies leaving stems intact and taking care not to break chilies.
3. Prepare Picadillo Filling.
4. Carefully spoon about 1/4 cup (60 mL) Filling into each chili; press chilies firmly between hands to ease out air and to close.
5. Heat oven to 250°F (120°C). Pour oil into deep, heavy, large skillet to depth of 1 inch (2.5 cm). Heat over medium heat to 365°F (185°C); adjust heat to maintain temperature.
6. Roll each chili in flour to coat lightly; pat off excess. Reserve remaining flour (about 1/4 cup or 60 mL).
7. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in large mixer bowl until soft peaks form. Beat egg yolks in medium mixer bowl until thick and lemon colored; gradually beat in reserved flour until smooth. Fold 1/4 of egg whites into yolk mixture; fold in remaining egg whites until blended.
8. Fry 2 or 3 chilies at a time in oil as follows: Grasp stem; support bottom of chili with fork. Dip into batter to coat; let excess drain off. Slip chili into oil; fry, turning once, until deep gold, about 2 minutes per side. Remove with slotted spatula; drain on paper toweling. Keep warm in oven until all have been fried.
9. Reheat Tomato Sauce until hot; divide evenly among 4 deep serving plates. Top each with 2 chilies; serve immediately. (OR pass Mexican Cream, sprinkled with coriander.)