- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pepper Tuna Au Gratin Recipe
|Fresh tuna||350 Gram, chopped|
|Chopped onions||200 Gram|
|Boiled potatoes||5 Medium|
|Freshly ground pepper||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic salt||To Taste|
|Chopped cabbage||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Grated gruyere cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated cheddar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Maggi seasoning||2 Drop|
|Mixed herbs||1 Teaspoon (thyme, rosemary)|
Calories 860 Calories from Fat 314
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g54.6%
Saturated Fat 20.1 g100.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 131.7 mg
Sodium 854.5 mg35.6%
Total Carbohydrates 77 g25.6%
Dietary Fiber 15.7 g62.7%
Sugars 6.9 g
Protein 62 g123.2%
Vitamin A 69.7% Vitamin C 77.2%
Calcium 84.5% Iron 139.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. When soft, add the pepper and saute for 1 minute
3. Add the tuna and fry for another 2 minutes on a low flame
4. Add the mixed herbs and Maggi seasoning and fry, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes. Then take off the heat.
5. In the meanwhile, mash the potatoes, add the Gruyere cheese, 1/2 cup cheddar, season with garlic salt.
6. Add enough milk to the potatoes that it comes a thick, smooth paste. It should not flow.
7. Mix 4 tablespoons of the potato mixture with the tuna mixture, to bind it.
8. In an ovenproof bowl, put all the tuna and pat it down at the bottom
9. For the next layer, add the cabbage and spread evenly
10. Next, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar over the cabbage
11. Add the potato mixture now. It may be a good idea to make a few swirls etc on the surface.
12. Pop it into the oven on 250 degrees and bake till the potatoes are slightly stiff.
13. Now dot the surface with butter all over and put it back into the oven
14. Bake till the surface is golden brown with dark spots. The dark spots shouldn’t be too brown.
Tip: A Gratin is always served in the vessel it is cooked in. Have you tried Corningware? We’ve just picked up some and they work well for such dishes. Remember, you don’t need a sauce with this, so your potato mixture shouldn’t be too dry. Serve with garlic bread or just toast and butter or aioli.