- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Penny Wise Pork Platter Recipe
|Smoked boneless shoulder butt/Cottage roll||2 Pound (1 Piece)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Potatoes||4 Large, pared and quartered|
|Brussels sprouts/1 package of 10 ounces, frozen brussels sprouts||1 Pound, washed and trimmed|
|Carrots||6 Medium, scraped and cut into 2-inch pieces|
Calories 308 Calories from Fat 46
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.9%
Saturated Fat 2.1 g10.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
Sodium 1177.7 mg49.1%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.6%
Dietary Fiber 7.5 g30%
Sugars 6.2 g
Protein 25 g49%
Vitamin A 161.6% Vitamin C 139.1%
Calcium 6.8% Iron 12.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large kettle, add meat, water, onions, cloves and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
2. Remove from heat, and measure 1 cup of the liquid from the kettle for cooking the vegetables. Reserve. Return the kettle to the heat and cook till meat is tender.
3. In a large saucepan, combine potatoes, brussel sprouts, carrots and the reserved cooking liquid along with ½ cup of water. Cook for 25 minutes until tender. Drain using a colander or sieve. Reserve liquid for broth
4. Remove meat from kettle and place on serving platter. Arrange vegetables on around the meat.
5. Continue cooking the liquid till it reduces to half a cup.
6. Slice meat into a half inch thick slices. Serve with broth on the side
7. Serve fresh, boiled rice too