- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pennsylvania Dutch Cake Recipe
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Apple butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3772 Calories from Fat 1193
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 135 g207.2%
Saturated Fat 37.3 g186.7%
Trans Fat 13.5 g
Cholesterol 868.5 mg
Sodium 3441.7 mg143.4%
Total Carbohydrates 582 g194%
Dietary Fiber 17.6 g70.5%
Sugars 318.7 g
Protein 66 g132.7%
Vitamin A 27% Vitamin C 14.3%
Calcium 48.6% Iron 108.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Measure flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into sifter. Stir vinegar into milk in 2-cup measure.
3. Beat shortening and sugar until fluffy in large bowl of electric mixer at medium speed. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in apple butter.
4. Sift in dry ingredients, a quarter at a time, adding alternately with milk mixture; stir with a wire whip or beat with mixer at low speed just until blended. Pour into pans.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes, or until centers spring back when lightly touched with fingertip.
6. Cool in pans on wire racks 5 minutes; loosen around edges with a narrow spatula; turn out onto racks. Peel off paper; cool layers completely.
7. Make FLUFFY FILLING AND FROSTING. Put layers together with filling; cover top and side with frosting.
8. Quarter, core, and slice apple into thin wedges. Arrange with walnuts around top and side of cake. Chill until ready to serve.