- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Peculiarly Good Oxtail Recipe
|Olive oil||8 Tablespoon|
|Oxtails||12 , chopped into 2-inch lengths and trimmed of all excess fat|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), seasoned|
|Celery stalks||4 , cut into 1-inch lengths|
|Beer/Other strong beer of same quantity||750 Milliliter (Theakston's 'Old Peculier',1 bottle)|
|Tomatoes/2 cans, 14 ounce / 397 gram each, tomatoes||1 Pound (775 Gram)|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm) (Unpeeled)|
Calories 7907 Calories from Fat 3604
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 401 g617%
Saturated Fat 4.3 g21.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 47.8 mg2%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g13.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.5%
Sugars 3.9 g
Protein 985 g1969.5%
Vitamin A 23.1% Vitamin C 30.4%
Calcium 5.8% Iron 13.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a heavy frying pan, heat half the olive oil.
2) Lightly combine the oxtail pieces in seasoned flour and then fry them until a golden colour.
3) Take away and discard any remaining oil or flour.
4) In the same pan,heat the remaining oil,add the celery sticks and cook until they begin to tender a little.
5) Ladle on the Old Peculier and allow to bubble through, emptying the pan by scraping.
6) In a large casserole, arrange the oxtails, the celery and ale, the tomatoes, the bay leaves and the garlic.
7) The liquid should be just enough to cover all the oxtails.
8) Now reduce to a simmer on top of the stove and cook slowly for 1 1/2-2 hours, until the meat starts separating away very easily from the bones.
9) Serve hot.