- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pear Squares Recipe
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon stick||1 , broken|
Calories 451 Calories from Fat 28
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.8%
Saturated Fat 1.9 g9.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 8.1 mg
Sodium 65.2 mg2.7%
Total Carbohydrates 112 g37.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.4%
Sugars 107.4 g
Protein 0.35 g0.7%
Vitamin A 2.3% Vitamin C 8.2%
Calcium 1.3% Iron 0.97%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2) Wash, peel and core the pears and save the peelings in a saucepan. Slice the pears
3) Firstly, make a pastry using 3 cups of flour. Chill the pastry.
4) On a floured board, roll out the pastry into a rectangle and cut into strips of dimension, 4 x 8 inches.
5) Place sliced pears on half of each pastry strip. Sprinkle sugar on top of sliced pears and dot pastry strips with butter.
6) Fold the pastry strips over and seal the edges. Use the tines of fork to seal the edges neatly.
7) Use a knife and make slits on top of each pastry strip.
8) Bake the strips in preheated hot oven for about 20 minutes or until pastry strips are golden brown.
9) To make cinnamon sauce, boil pear peelings with 1 cup water for about 5 minutes.
10) After it is thoroughly boiled, strain and remove the peelings and add brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt to the boiled water.
11) Boil the mixture and simmer it for about 5 to 6 minutes or until the desired consistency is reached. Strain out cinnamon sticks.
12) Allow the pastry strips to cool down and serve with warm cinnamon sauce.