- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pea Soup Recipe Video
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Carrots||2 , chopped diagonally|
|Celery stalks||3 , roughly chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), chopped|
|Ham hocks||2 Medium, smoked (Roasted at 350 F and drizzled with maple syrup)|
|Maple syrup||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (To drizzle the roasted ham hocks)|
|Water||2 Liter (as needed)|
|Potatoes||2 Medium, peeled and diced|
|Split peas||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Bay leaves||2 Medium|
|Salt||To Taste (For the seasoning)|
|Pepper||To Taste (For the seasoning)|
Calories 937 Calories from Fat 544
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 60 g93%
Saturated Fat 17.2 g85.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 131.3 mg43.8%
Sodium 343.6 mg14.3%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.3%
Dietary Fiber 14.4 g57.5%
Sugars 13.6 g
Protein 54 g108.7%
Vitamin A 42.6% Vitamin C 19.3%
Calcium 3.2% Iron 11.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Take a large pot on medium heat and with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in it, add onion, carrots and celery stalks. Saute for 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Add 3 cloves of chopped garlic at the last minute and then add the roasted ham hocks. Add the water and allow it to boil. Once it starts to boil, turn down the heat and let it simmer for at least 2 hours.
3. When the stock is done take out the ham hocks and set them aside and strain out the vegetables and discard them.
4. Put the stock back on the stove and add a couple of medium diced potatoes and 1 1/2 to 2 cups of dried split peas. Season with a bit of thyme and a couple of bay leaves. Let it simmer for another hour until the peas are done and the potatoes are falling apart.
5. While the soup simmers, take the meat off the bones of the ham hock and chop them inot bite sized pieces and set them aside.
6. When the soup is done skim the surface to get rid of the foam. Using an emulsion blender puree the soup to get the desired consistency. Add in the ham and stir everything to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste and the soup is ready to serve.
7. The warm pea soup can be served with a drizzle of maple syrup with some crusty bread or serve by adding crema for richness or you can even serve it plain.