- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hot & Spicy Patrel Recipe
|Gram flour||750 Gram|
|Coriander||2 Bunch (200 gm)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Dhansakh masala||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Chili powder||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||12 Tablespoon|
|Tamarind pulp||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Grated jaggery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sesame oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 748 Calories from Fat 146
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.2%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g12.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 334 mg13.9%
Total Carbohydrates 126 g42.1%
Dietary Fiber 21.2 g84.7%
Sugars 51 g
Protein 28 g56.4%
Vitamin A 60% Vitamin C 167.8%
Calcium 19.4% Iron 95.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Grind the garlic, cumin, red and green chillies and powdered spices in a quarter cup of vinegar. Chop onions and coriander finely. Mix grated jaggery and tamarind pulp.
3. Seive the flour in a large thala, add salt and the ground masala, jaggery and tamarind pulp and mix well together. Add one cup of water and mix dough well. Cover and allow to stand for two hours.
4. After two hours mix the chopped onion and coriander in the gram flour. Place a huge double length newspaper on the floor or table. Weigh it down at the four corners. Place a large leaf upside down on it, take a handful of the batter and apply on the leaf. Place another leaf so that it overlaps one side of the first one and apply batter on it. Keep arranging the leaves in such a manner that you have a large square of batter filled leaves. Fold all four sides slightly inwards and roll neatly. Tie with soft white string. You should get six to eight such rolls.
5. Heat two cups sesame oil in a heavy based pan and fry the rolls gently on all sides. Add one cup water and allow to simmer. Cover the vessel tightly so that the rolls cook in the steam. Turn over the rolls and add more water if you feel necessary and keep on the stove till cooked. Cool and store in plastic bags and refrigerate.
6. When needed cut into slices and fry in hot oil and temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and red chillies. Serve with sour lime wedges.