- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Paruppu Vadai/ Masal' Vada - South Indian Style Lentil Fritters Recipe Video
|Chana dal||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Red onion||1 Medium, chopped finely|
|White onion||1 Medium, chopped finely|
|Dried red chilies||3 Small|
|Green chilies||6 Small, chopped finely|
|Regular salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Fennel seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Tablespoon (For grinding)|
|Spinach||1⁄2 Bunch (50 gm), chopped finely|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Cornflour||1 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Oil||5 Cup (80 tbs) (For deep frying)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1808 Calories from Fat 452
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g79.2%
Saturated Fat 6.5 g32.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 2517.3 mg104.9%
Total Carbohydrates 259 g86.3%
Dietary Fiber 100.5 g402.2%
Sugars 43 g
Protein 92 g184.5%
Vitamin A 164.7% Vitamin C 226.2%
Calcium 49.7% Iron 125.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Soak the chana dal in water for 2 hours.
2. In a blender, add the soaked chana dal, red chilies, salt and little water for grinding. Grind them coarsely and not into a paste.
3. In a bowl, remove the batter from the blender, add in the spinach, onions, ginger, garlic, green chilies, salt,cumin seeds, fennel seeds, curry leaves, cilantro, hing and cornflour (optional). Mix all the ingredients well.
4. Take a small amount of the batter in one hand and make small round shape with the other hand. Flaten it in the centre and the edges.
5. In a deep frying pan, heat the oil to 350 degrees F, for frying the vadas.
6. Gently drop these vada's into the hot oil.
7. Deep fry them in the hot oil for 7 - 8 minutes until they are golden brown.
8. Serve the masal vada with coconut chutney, sambhar or tomato sauce.