- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Party Jambalaya Recipe
|Onion||1 , diced|
|Green pepper||1 , halved, seeded and diced|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Rice||2 Cup (32 tbs), uncooked|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Pound (1 Can)|
|Raw deveined shrimp||1 1⁄2 Pound, frozen (1 Bag)|
|Canned ham||1 Pound (1 Pound)|
|Boiling water||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
Calories 521 Calories from Fat 106
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.7%
Saturated Fat 3.2 g16.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 235.6 mg
Sodium 1781.4 mg74.2%
Total Carbohydrates 61 g20.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g13.8%
Sugars 3.8 g
Protein 42 g83.9%
Vitamin A 15.3% Vitamin C 49.8%
Calcium 15.7% Iron 10%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) In a medium-sized frying pan, sauté the bacon till it is almost crisp.
3) Before removing from the pan, roll each bacon slice around the tines of a fork so as to make a curl. If needed, hold in place with a wooden toothpick. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
4) In the drippings in the pan, sauté the celery, green pepper, onion and garlic till tender. Set aside.
5) In a 12-cup baking dish, combine together the rice, salt, sugar, cayenne, Worcestershire sauce and tomatoes after breaking them up with a fork.
6) Over the shrimps, pour just enough hot water to separate them and then drain. Add to the rice mixture in the baking dish.
7) From the ham, scrape the gelatin coating and add to the baking dish.
8) Finely chop the ham and stir it with the onion mixture. Add the mixture to the baking dish.
9) Cover the dish and chill till 60 minutes before serving time.
10) When it is time to bake, pour 3 ½ cups of boiling water into the dish very slowly and stir with the fork to mix well. Put the bay leaf on top and cover.
11) Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour or till the rice is soft and almost all the liquid has been absorbed.
12) Serve hot after discarding the bay leaf, pulling fluffing the rice with a fork, pulling some shrimps to the top garnishing with the bacon curls and green-pepper rings.