- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Parisian Meat Loaf Recipe
|Ground veal||1 Pound|
|Ground pork||1 Pound|
|Soft white bread crumbs||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Carrot||1 Large, pared and grated|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped|
|Dairy sour cream||8 Ounce (1 Cup)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4846 Calories from Fat 2835
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 318 g489.9%
Saturated Fat 111.1 g555.7%
Trans Fat 18 g
Cholesterol 1027.9 mg
Sodium 7216.6 mg300.7%
Total Carbohydrates 275 g91.8%
Dietary Fiber 13.3 g53.3%
Sugars 20.6 g
Protein 212 g423.1%
Vitamin A 272.2% Vitamin C 30.9%
Calcium 60.9% Iron 140.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Sift 2 cups of the flour and remaining 1 teaspoon salt into a medium-size bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle with 4 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon at a time; mix lightly with a fork just until pastry holds together and leaves side of bowl clean.
3. Roll out to a rectangle, 18x12-inches, on a lightly floured pastry cloth or board.
4. Pack meat-loaf mixture into a loaf pan, 9x5x3-inches; invert onto center of pastry.
5. Beat egg and 1 tablespoon water in a cup.
6. Wrap pastry around meat loaf, brushing edges with egg mixture, to seal completely. Cut several slits in top for steam to escape; brush loaf all over with remaining egg mixture.
7. Wrap loaf in heavy foil or freezer paper; seal. Label, date, and freeze.
8. Two and one-half hours before serving, remove loaf from freezer; unwrap. Place in a shallow baking pan.
9. Bake in moderate oven (350°) for 2 1/2 hours or until pastry is golden and no pink juices flow from meat. Place on a heated serving platter; keep hot.
10. Measure drippings in baking pan; add butter or margarine, if needed, to make 4 table-spoonfuls; return to pan. Blend in remaining 4
tablespoons flour; cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly.
11. Stir in 2 cups water slowly; continue cooking and stirring, scraping baked-on juices from bottom of pan, until gravy thickens and boils 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.