- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Panzanella or Bread Salad Recipe
|Baguette||1 (day old)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Capers||2 Tablespoon, rinsed|
|Garlic||1⁄2 Clove (2.5 gm)|
|Small red onion||1|
|Red wine vinegar||3 Tablespoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||6 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Arugula||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
Calories 562 Calories from Fat 345
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g58.2%
Saturated Fat 7 g35.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 27.4 mg
Sodium 547.8 mg22.8%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.5%
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g12.9%
Sugars 4.8 g
Protein 11 g22.4%
Vitamin A 42.8% Vitamin C 82%
Calcium 13.5% Iron 10.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Cut the Baguette into cubes about 2cm x 2cm (3/4 inch) and place them into a large bowl.
3. In a small pot, melt the 2T. butter. Then add the 2T. olive oil & garlic clove and cook until the garlic begins to brown.
4. Remove the garlic clove and toss the butter/oil mix with the bread cubes.
5. Season with salt & pepper then bake for 8-10 minutes to dry out the bread a bit.
6. While the bread is baking, combine the anchovies, garlic and capers in a food processor and puree.
7. Peel the tomatoes with a vegetable peeler. (using a back and forth motion while peeling is the secret).
8. When the bread cubes are done baking, transfer them to a plate or tray.
9. Puree 2 of the tomatoes in a food processor; pour the tomato over the bread cubes and mix together.
10. While the bread soaks up the tomato, prepare the remainder of the vegetables for the salad by dicing the cucumbers and tomatoes as well as slicing the red onion*, peppers and fennel.
11. Combine the vegetables, with the bread.
12. Add the olive oil, vinegar, salt/pepper and mix thoroughly.
13. After washing and drying the arugula, place it onto a serving platter.
14. Top with the well mixed bread salad.