- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Panned Broccoli Recipe
|Onion||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon, ground|
Calories 109 Calories from Fat 70
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.2%
Saturated Fat 1 g5.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 160.3 mg6.7%
Total Carbohydrates 9 g2.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.2%
Sugars 2.2 g
Protein 3 g6.7%
Vitamin A 14.2% Vitamin C 172.6%
Calcium 5.7% Iron 4.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Rinse the broccoli throughly under tap water.
2) Separate the stems from the florets.
3) Slice the stems lengthwise into about 2-inches while chop the florets into two halves. If the florets are big you can cut them into quarters.
4) Blanch the stems and florets by adding them into boiling water.
5) Take the florets out of the boiling water in 5-6 minutes and tranfer them into a bowl of cold water for 2-3 minutes.
6) After 10 minutes of boiling, repeat the same with the broccoli stems.
7) Drain all the water from the broccoli and keep aside.
8) In a saucepan, heat oil, add onions and garlic, and saute till soft.
9) Add in the broccoli and saute till they become slightly tender yet crisp to bite.
10) Sprinkle salt and pepper and finally the lemon juice. Mix well.
11) Plate the Panned Broccoli and serve as an accompaniment to any rice dish.
Blanching the broccoli helps to retain its bright green color and crispy texture.