- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Pan Fried Duck Breast with Braised Chicory Recipe
|Duck breasts||2 , skin scored|
|Corn oil/Sunflower oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed For Frying)|
|White wine vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||1 Teaspoon (1 Splash)|
|Orange||1⁄2 , juiced|
|Orange||1 , zest grated and blanched, flesh cut into segments|
|Lime||1 , zest grated and blanched|
|Unsalted butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce (45 Gram)|
|Chicory heads||2 , leaves separated|
|Castor sugar||2 Teaspoon|
Calories 647 Calories from Fat 462
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 52 g80.6%
Saturated Fat 14.7 g73.7%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 109.6 mg
Sodium 77.7 mg3.2%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.8%
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g22.7%
Sugars 22.7 g
Protein 19 g37.3%
Vitamin A 85.6% Vitamin C 128.9%
Calcium 12.4% Iron 25.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Rub seasonings over the scored duck breasts.
2. In a large non-stick skillet, heat the corn oil over a medium flame.
3. When hot, arrange the duck breasts, skin-side down and brown for 5 to 8 minutes. Turn and cook on the other side for another 5 to 8 minutes depending on your preference for doneness.
4. Remove the duck from the pan onto a warm platter and leave to rest.
Spoon out the excess fat from the pan.
5. Deglaze the pan with the vinegar, a splash of oil and the honey, stirring to blend and remove the sticky residue into the sauce
6. Pour in half the orange juice and add the orange segments and the orange and lime zests.
7. When well heated, whisk in half the butter. Remove from heat and keep the sauce warm.
In a small skillet, heat the remaining butter with a little oil over a medium flame.
8. When hot add and sauté the chicory leaves until softened.
9. Add the seasonings and castor sugar and sauté until the leaves are caramelized.
On a meat board, slice the duck breasts using a steak knife.
10. To assemble, on each of the 2 dinner plates, make a bed of the sautéed chicory leaves.
11. Arrange the duck slices over the leaves
12. Spoon the sauce over the duck slices.