- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Korean Braised Short Ribs (Galbi Jim) Recipe Video
|Beef short rib||3 Pound|
|Soy sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Rice wine||2 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Asian pear||1⁄2 , shredded|
|Onion||1 Medium, roughly chopped|
|Ginger||15 Gram, sliced (2-inch piece)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Raddish||1 , diced (Asian raddish)|
|Carrot||3 , cut into cubes (2-3)|
|Potato||1 , diced|
|Shitake mushroom||4 , sliced (3-4)|
|Green onion||3 , sliced|
Calories 1580 Calories from Fat 1181
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 131 g201.7%
Saturated Fat 54.8 g273.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 258.5 mg
Sodium 3800.3 mg158.3%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g14.1%
Dietary Fiber 5.4 g21.7%
Sugars 19.2 g
Protein 56 g111.9%
Vitamin A 160.1% Vitamin C 38.3%
Calcium 9.3% Iron 42.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash and trim off excess fat, if any from ribs. Score them for flavors to penetrate.
2. In a saucepan, put ribs and cover it with water. Place pan on flame and boil ribs for 10-15 minutes.
3. Skim the surface foam, remove ribs from pan, and reserve the liquid for later use.
4. For braising liquid, in a small bowl, add soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine, sesame oil, black pepper, and pear. Mix well.
5. In a large Dutch oven or pot heat oil, add onion, garlic, and ginger in it. Saute mixture for a couple of minutes.
6. Drop cooked ribs and fry until brown.
7. Pour braising liquid, and reserved stock in pot, just enough to cover the ribs halfway. Bring it to a boil.
8. Reduce the heat, cover, and let it simmer for 90 minutes.
9. Throw carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms. Cook for an additional 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
10. Taste and adjust seasoning of salt.
11. Garnish with green onions and serve braised ribs hot with rice.
Pour more reserved stock, if required to cook vegetables.
Soak mushrooms in water for 15 minutes if using dried ones.