- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Doro Wat (Ethiopian Braised chicken) Recipe Video
|White onion||1⁄2 , roughly diced|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Ginger||10 Gram, peeled, finely chopped (1-inch piece)|
|Berbere spice mix||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sea salt||To Taste|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken legs and thighs/Chicken breast||1 Pound|
|Dry red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Hard boiled eggs||2 , peeled|
|For berbere spice mix|
|Dry red chilli||20 Gram, stemmed, seeded (12)|
|Fenugreek seed||2 Teaspoon|
|Whole black peppercorns||2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Ajwain||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Allspice berries||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whole clove||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cardamom||8 , crushed (white cardamom pods)|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 555 Calories from Fat 315
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g55.4%
Saturated Fat 11.9 g59.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 220 mg73.3%
Sodium 591.1 mg24.6%
Total Carbohydrates 33 g11%
Dietary Fiber 12.4 g49.5%
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 22 g44.6%
Vitamin A 65.5% Vitamin C 18.5%
Calcium 6.8% Iron 25.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. For spice mix, in a frying pan, over medium high heat, toast dried red chilies, fenugreek seeds, black peppercorn, cumin, ajowan, allspice, clove, and cardamom pods for 3 minutes or until fragrant. Stir constant to avoid burning. Let it cool.
2. Put spices into grinder and grind until smooth.
3. Transfer it to a bowl, add paprika and ginger. Mix well.
4. In food processor, add onion, garlic, ginger, spice mix, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon oil, 2 tablespoons of water. Blend to form paste. Add more water, if required.
5. Remove skin and fat from the chicken. Season it lightly with salt.
6. Place a frying pan on high flame, and heat remaining oil in it. Swirl to coat.
7. Drop chicken in pan, and cook for about 4 minutes per side or until light golden brown.
8. Into a 4-quart slow cooker, transfer cooked chicken.
9. In the same frying pan, on high heat, pour wine. Boil for a minute and add spice paste in it. Remove the pan from heat and mix well.
10. Transfer the spice mixture into the slow cooker. Mix to coat chicken.
11. Add butter, cover with lid, and cook on low setting for 4 hours or until chicken is tender but not falling from the bone.
12. Stir gently. Taste and season it with salt.
13. With knife, score eggs lightly and drop it into the cooker. Cover, and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
14. Serve doro wat hot with Injera bread.