- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Palterovich Creamy Apple Herring Recipe
|Sliced herring packed in vinegar and spices||24 Ounce, sliced (2 Jars, 12 Ounces Each)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Granny smith apple||1 , cored|
|Sweet onion||1 Large, thinly sliced (Preferably Red Maui Or Vidalia)|
|Sour cream/Creme fraiche||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|White horseradish||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), drained, prepared|
|Fresh dill||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Fresh dill sprigs||3 (As Needed, For Garnish)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1472 Calories from Fat 820
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 93 g142.6%
Saturated Fat 50 g249.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 179.4 mg59.8%
Sodium 887.9 mg37%
Total Carbohydrates 75 g24.9%
Dietary Fiber 11.5 g45.9%
Sugars 53.1 g
Protein 66 g131.6%
Vitamin A 52.8% Vitamin C 95.3%
Calcium 51.2% Iron 14.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. First, drain the herring well and cut them into smaller pieces if required.
2. Clean the herring from all pickling spices.
3. Dice apple into irregular 1-inch pieces about 1/4 inch thick.
4. In a large bowl, pour the lemon juice.
5. Add diced apple and toss to coat evenly to prevent discoloration.
6. Add the herring and onion; stir gently to mix.
7. In another large mixing bowl, mix the sour cream, horseradish, and chopped dill together.
8. Add the herring mixture.
9. Mix with folding movements.
10. Season with pepper; mix well.
11. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
12. Serve in an attractive glass bowl
13. Garnished with dill sprigs.