- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Palestinian Musakhan Recipe Video
|Virgin olive oil||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Pine nuts||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
Calories 1958 Calories from Fat 1372
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 150 g231.2%
Saturated Fat 27.1 g135.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 375 mg
Sodium 436 mg18.2%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.3%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g28.7%
Sugars 19.3 g
Protein 99 g198.3%
Vitamin A 14.2% Vitamin C 64.7%
Calcium 15.1% Iron 30.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Prepare the chicken for cooking by washing, cleaning . I add a little bit of lemon juice and olive oil to my chicken to keep it smelling nice.
2. Sauté couple of medium diced onion, add the chicken, enough water to cover the chicken, cardamom and salt. Boil over high heat and then let simmer until the chicken is done.
3. Add 2 cups of olive oil to a casserole and cook the diced onions until translucent, this takes about 25-35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the sumac to the onions and cook for 2 minutes to mix. Do not overcook the onions, you do not want them burnt and you do not want them mushy...they should hold their shape nicely.
5. Add the chicken to the pot with onions in it, let cook for ten minutes.
6. Remove the chicken from the pot, bake until golden brown.
7. Soak the break in the chicken broth and lay in an oven safe serving platter.
8. Add the first layer of the onion mix on top of the bread, add pine nuts and broil to a nice golden color.
9. Repeat to form three to four layers of the bread and onions. Traditionally the bread is soaked with olive oil and then topped with the cooked onions and broiled, repeating the same step with every layer of bread.
10. Arrange the baked/broiled chicken on top of the last layer of bread and onions and garnish with pine nuts.
11. Fry the pine nuts or add them raw to the dish to garnish.
For more information please visit: http://mimicooks.com